Downtown is a symbol of:
- Community Economic Health
- Partnership between the private sector and public sector
- Local quality of life
- Community Pride
- Community History
Downtown infrastructure is a major public investment. Only healthy businesses in buildings assessed at full value generate taxes that give taxpayers a good return on this public investment.
Downtown represents independent businesses which:
Support local families
- Support local community projects such as teams and schools
- Keep profits in town (Chain stores and internet purchases send profits out of town.)
Downtown helps reduce sprawl by concentrating activity in one area.
- A major employer. Maybe its the largest employer in town.
- An important community space where Members of all segments of the community can meet equally for parades and other community events.
- Where the community’s arts and culture thrives.
- A tourist attraction and is the location of a community’s unique businesses and
- The heart of the community and the site of local government and the arts.
- An important factor for industrial and commercial developers and professional recruitment.